Outside Scholarships

Prior Learning/Prior Registration

Credit for Prior Learning/ Priority Registration

If you served in the military, you may be eligible for credit that will transfer to Cal Poly, helping you to earn your degree faster. Once you’ve been admitted, submit your DD214 to the VSC to qualify for Priority Registration. You can apply for a copy of your DD 214 at the National Archives. Veterans are also encouraged to submit their Joint Services Transcript (JST) to the Office of the Registrar.                                                                                                                                                                              In accordance with the Assembly Bill 2133, priority registration is granted to veterans or members of the Armed Forces (Active Duty, National Guard, Reserves). To be eligible, proof of service (i.e. a DD-214, military id, copy of orders) must be submitted to the Veterans Success Center located in Lassen Hall 3003.

Work You Can Receive Credit For

Generally, students are granted credit for:

  • baccalaureate-level courses that were successfully completed at a regionally accredited two- or four-year college or university
  • academic units when the non-collegiate instruction or experience is determined to be appropriate to the baccalaureate degree and meet American Council on Education guidelines
  • external exams such as DSST and College-Level Examination Program (CLEP

How Credit is Determined

CSU campuses use the American Council on Education (ACE)'s Online Military Guide when reviewing course equivalency recommendations. ACE provides quality assurance and policy guidance for the JST by the Army, Marine Corps, Navy, and Coast Guard. (Request your JST.

The JST includes consolidated educational and experiential information for the Army, Marine Corps, Navy and Coast Guard. The Community College of the Air Force (CCAF) issues its own transcript for educational courses completed by Air Force personnel.


Related Content

Military-connected news

Click here

In State Tuition (VACA)

Click here

Contact Us

Bldg. 52
Room E-4


Email us

Social media
Facebook: @calpolyveterans

Veterans Benefit Request Form

certify benefits

Click here

Change VA Units Certified

change classes

Click here

Happening in the Local Area

Click here

Prior Learning Prior Registration

priority registration and prior learning

Click here

Donate to Support the VSC

Donate here

Click here

VA Benefits Information

benefits information

Summary Flyer