Current Students

Certification Steps

Priority Registration for Selected Student Veterans

VA Work Study

Disabled Veterans

Certification Steps

To be certified for the quarter, current student veterans and dependents must gather the following documents and submit in person or via email:

Veteran Certifying Official: 
Steven Chandler
Office of the Registrar
Building 52, Room E-25
Phone: 805.756.6025

All forms can be found here

  1. VA-01 Veteran Benefits Request Form- Complete this form once each academic year.
  2. After enrolling in the units you want certified, email from your email account. The email notification must state you are ready to be certified for the quarter and the amount of units you want certified. This email notification also indicates to us you have checked your degree progress and are certain the units you want certified apply to your degree. ALL emails should come directly from your email account. Your email account is accessible through your portal. Go to “Single Click Links”, select “Email & Calendar”.

If using any of the following benefits, students must also verify enrollment each month using Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE):

  • Chapter 30 Montgomery GI Bill
  • Chapter 1606 Montgomery GI Bill
  • Chapter 1607 REAP

***You MUST send a certification request email each/every quarter or your enrollment certification will NOT forward to Veteran Affairs causing delayed payments.***

Any changes to your academic plan or class schedule must be reported to the School Certifying Official immediately.

Full-time - 12+ units
3/4 time - 9-11 units
Half-time - 6-8 units
Full-time - 8+ units
3/4 time - 6-7 units
Half-time - 4-5 units


Priority Registration for Selected Student Veterans

In accordance with the Assembly Bill 2133, California resident veterans, or those serving on active duty or in the National Guard or Reserve attending public colleges and universities are granted priority registration for classes for a period of four years, which must be used within 15 years of leaving active service. Eligible Cal Poly students must provide proof of service (i.e. a DD-214 or current enlistment contract) to the Veterans Certifying Official.

VA Work-Study

Students who are receiving VA education benefits are eligible to participate in the Department of Veterans Affairs work-study program. Depending on availability of positions, work-study may be available if you are receiving VA education benefits, and are attending school at least three-quarter time (9 semester hours) or greater. Students may work at Department of Veteran Affairs approved sites up to 425 hours during a semester. Payment is at the federal or state minimum wage, whichever is greater. Work study payments are a benefit and therefore are not taxable.

Please contact Michael Brennan at to apply.

Disabled Veterans

All student veterans are encouraged to sign up for services at Cal Poly's Disability Resource Center (DRC) and Cal Poly Counseling Services.  Both offices provide professional staff services to assist student veterans with disabilities in an academic environment. 

Related Content

Contact Us

Bldg. 52
Room E-4


Email us

Social media
Facebook & Instagram: @calpolysvo

Make a Donation

Make a Donation

Click here

Start your Benefits!

Visit the Benefits tab or view this summary flyer!

Summary Flyer